01 July, 2014

The Eventual Honeymoon

When we got married, I didn't need a vacation.  Sure, I would have loved one.  But let's get real.  What struggles would the child-bride really be escaping?  'Ugh, I just went from one form of financial and emotional support to another.  Wait, I don't have a curfew anymore?  Sa-weet!' (Just so we're clear, that actually did happen.  I remember Justin and I going grocery shopping at 11:30 pm just because no one could tell us no.)

But eight years later?  Yeah, it was time.  Boy was it time.  Not saying life is rough, because I've got a pretty sweet gig going on.  Escaping even the most basic things, like showers for instance, was just what we needed.

So what did we do?

Well we ate...


...a lot...
in fact, on the way to Ted's to eat the best shrimp I ever did put my lips on, which was a 100 yard walk, we STOPPED AT A HOT DOG STAND.  As if the long, arduous walk really needed to be supplemented.  


 Justin refused to shave and I nearly vommed.


We got our faces all up in some shave ice.  The 20 minute wait was well worth it.  Justin got some weird concoction that had beans in it.  Come on, man; You're killing my vibe.


 We jumped off the Big Rock at Waimea Bay.  This was taken after I checked to make sure my walaha hadn't fallen off during impact.


Just for reference, this is it:


Yep.  That was exactly my reaction too.

We went kayaking where it was discovered that yes indeed I still get sea sick.  But I got to snorkel and see a butt-load (a scientific term you civilians wouldn't understand) of fish.  

(My phone freaked out and made these photos all Barbara Walters Soft-Lens-Esque.  But it's probably best that the bathing suit photos are a bit blurry.  Actually, can y'all do me a favor and squint at these too?)



Honestly this comes no where close to the full story of our first ever vacation.  I think I want to keep some stories for me and J.  Okay, I will tell you this one real quick.  We were on a hike and we were coming down the mountain and it was a fine path and all but I tripped a little and, literally, fell over like an old man and toppled into the bushes adjacent.  It was so ridiculous, I still can't believe that actually happened.  And now that I have written it, I think I am right in keeping some of these stories to myself.  I need to keep up the facade that I'm way cooler than I actually am.

-----------

On the way out to my future home our vacation destination, J and I were sharing headphones.  Not at all necessary, but incredibly cute if I say so.  I had already been thinking about our relationship: where we had been, what we have gone through, what was to come.  You know, real light thinking for the five hour flight.

Around then, it occurred to me- Justin wasn't a settle.  If he asked me every year for the rest of my life to marry him, the answer would always be yes.  He is my permanence.  I can't be sure I'm using that noun correctly, but I imagine Justin will let me know after he reads this.  Because that's what he does.  And I love him regardless.

As I'm thinking about this...about how my answer will always be an resounding YES, a favorite song came on.  The song is actually really depressing.  But there is one line that describes it quite perfectly, this thing between J and I.


If I lived 'til I was a hundred and two
I just don't think I'll ever get over you.

1 comment:

Like this post? Show me some love via comment.

Hated this post? Well, I guess that's your choice. But I still like you.