10 September, 2010

Winter Squash AMAZING

Last night I whipped out my all-time favorite recipe (courtesy of Brooke) and felt all sorts of warm and fuzzy on the inside.  Let me share it with you.


First, peel and slice up a butternut squash.
Then cut into cubes (you'll need 4 cups worth).
Next, get yourself 1 cup of onion chopped.




















Sauté the onion in a little bit of olive oil and a little bit
butter.  Sorry I can't be more specific.  Just go with your
heart on this one.  Once the onion begins to brown, add
in your squash, 2 cups of chicken broth, a little bit of
thyme, a little bit of cayenne pepper, and a dash of love,
if you dare.  Oh, and some pepper if that sails your ship.
Let that all come to a boil, then let it simmer for 20,
or until the squash is squishy.  Like what I did there?
This picture isn't necessary, but how awesome is my
pot?  A goodwill find in Monterey, CA.














Place a brick of neufchatel cream cheese in a blender.















When the squash mixture is ready, place
it and the liquid in with the neufchatel.  I like
to let it sit for a second to soften up the
cheese.  This makes it a smidge easier to
blend.  So yeah, once it's in, blend away!
Let it go until it's nice and creamy and
delicious looking.  When done, put it back
into the pan and let reheat over a low temp
on the stove.  DON'T LET IT BOIL.  Things
get weird when it boils.


Once it's back to a desired heat, feel free to serve it up,
with a smile of course.  We usually have ourselves some
grilled cheese along with it, but it stands on it's own just
fine.



And there you have.  TRY IT.  

I know that squash can be scary, but just do it.

You might surprise yourself.




3 comments:

  1. yum! I bet this tastes like it's bad for you (super delicious) ! I must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that pot! it is hilarious and brilliant. i will try this recipe...perfect for fall.

    also, you are funny.

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Show me some love via comment.

Hated this post? Well, I guess that's your choice. But I still like you.